Job Posting: Youth Mentorship Program Coordinator
Hamilton Centre for Civic Inclusion (HCCI), in partnership with African Canadian Caribbean Association (ACCA), is launching the Together We Can Youth Mentorship Program. The program delivers one-to-one mentorship and in-school group mentorship opportunities, targeting black youth aged 13-18 through a collective impact and Cultural Identity approach. We are hiring a Youth Mentorship Program Coordinator who will coordinate the one-to-one mentorship program.
The Youth Mentorship Program Coordinator will mainly work from ACCA location in collaboration with HCCI program staff and Afro Canadian Caribbean Association administration.
Recruitment, Outreach and Promotion
- Conduct outreach to recruit and attract youth participants, targeting black youth aged 13-18.
- Conduct outreach to recruit adult/peer mentors
- Use appropriate traditional and digital engagement and outreach strategies and tools.
Program Coordination, Record Keeping and Reporting
- Screen all potential mentor candidates through background checks and interviews
- Oversee and coordinate specialized mentor and mentee training and orientation sessions
- Coordinate mentor/mentee matching process following appropriate policies and procedures in place
- Keep accurate, current records of participants
- Support mentees to articulate their own program outcomes to maintain and track progress towards goals
- Supervise on-going mentor/mentee relationship, including management of mentee reporting and providing mentor support
- Utilize positive youth development and youth organizing principles to guide the work, using an anti-black racism framework.
- Address any concerns about mentor/mentee conduct or conflict
- Plan and execute regular mentor continuing education and support meetings
- Provide updates to Project Advisory Group
- Oversee coordinated monthly outings and celebrations
- Maintain and expand relationships with referring agencies
- Maintain and report program metrics to leadership team at ACCA and HCCI
- Implement and execute program evaluations
- Meet all program deliverables
Collaboration and partnerships
- Participate in team meetings with mentor, mentee, and referring agency and program staff
- Referrals to external resources for youth participants
- Collaboration with program staff and other partners to identify resources for the needs of youth in the program
- Participate in coordination of all logistical aspects of the youth mentorship program
- Identifying and maintaining relationships with organizations that further the mission of the mentorship program and partnerships.
- Post-secondary education in Social Sciences, or a minimum of 3 years of experience in program coordination, community engagement, outreach, youth development.
- Demonstrated capacity to work with youth (13- 18 yrs.) and adults from diverse communities, specially, black communities in Hamilton
- Experience in a non-profit setting, working with volunteers and with diverse multi-ethnic equity-seeking groups/ communities
- Experience in program coordination, implementation and consensus/collective approaches to problem solving
- Deep understanding of anti-racism and anti-oppression framework
- Good presentation and group facilitation skills.
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Deep understanding of issues of ant- black racism, Strong Black cultural awareness and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse communities and promoting inclusion
- Knowledge of the Black communities and resources in Hamilton
- Good understanding and/or experience with community-based initiatives
- Teamwork, organizational and coordination skills.
- Able to work with a minimal amount of supervision
- Computer word-processing, database, and Internet skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both written and verbal.
- French language is an asset.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This is a 30 hrs/week contract position.
- This position is available immediately
- Salary- $22/hr
Interested candidates should submit cover letter and resume by August 22, 2018 to email@example.com. We thank all candidates for their interest in this position but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HCCI is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and a work environment. HCCI seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. While all qualified candidates are invited to apply, we particularly welcome applications from women, immigrants/refugees, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, members of visible minorities, and LGBTQ+ persons.